Our expert answers some key questions about motorcycle oils and your bike. Select the questions on the right to hear the answers.
What are the most critical areas where the oil flows?
In most cases the critical engine areas are the piston assembly, bearings and valve train, coupled with the need to protect the gearbox and lubricate and cool the clutch.
- Can I use a car engine oil in a motorcycle?
- …and what if I have a dry clutch?
- What is the function of engine oil in a motorcycle?
- What are the most critical areas where the oil flows?
- What’s the function of the oil filter?
- Can an engine oil improve performance or is it only for engine protection?
- Why do some OEM’s recommend low viscosity oil?
- What does a MotoGP engine use as oil?
- Can I use the same oil at extreme external temperatures?
- Can I use a track day oil for road driving?
- What does ‘deposit’ mean?
- What effect can a very thick oil have on the engine/gearbox/clutch?